What exactly makes a decision ethical? The problem with ethics is that what may seem morally right (or ethical) to one person may seem appalling to another. This workshop will not provide you with an easy way to solve every ethical decision you will ever have to make. It will, however, help you define your ethical framework to make solving those ethical dilemmas easier. We will also look at tools you can use when you are faced with an ethical decision. And, we will look at techniques you can use so you do not get stuck in an ethical quandary. Best of all, we will look at a lot of case studies so that you can practice making decisions in a safe environment.
What Will Students Learn?
- Understand the difference between ethics and morals
- Understand the value of ethics
- Identify your values and moral principles
- Be familiar with philosophical approaches to ethical decisions
- Identify ways to improve ethics in your office
- Know what is required to start developing an office code of ethics
- Know ways to avoid ethical dilemmas
- Have tools to help you make better decisions
- Be familiar with common ethical dilemmas
What Topics are Covered?
- What are ethics? Why bother with ethics?
- Taking your moral temperature
- Kohlberg’s six stages
- Philosophical approaches
- Avoiding ethical dilemmas
- Pitfalls and excuses
- Developing an office code of ethics
- Keys to an ethical office
- Decision making tools
- Handling dilemmas with company policy, co-workers, clients, and supervisors
- What to do when you make a mistake
- Instruction by an expert facilitator
- Small, interactive classes
- Specialized manual and course materials
- Personalized certificate of completion